ORDER OF DEACONS
a wellspring of spiritual sustenance
Before You Begin
The Starting Checklist for the Private Meditations
Before You Begin
This list is similar to the one for the Exercitia Spiritualia in order to accommodate these instructions for the Meditations.
- Many times, those seeking refuge will be just starting out on their first exposure to either Thelema or active, sacred meditation in such a manner as this. Be mindful of this as you move forward with them.
- Be confident in yourself that you are ready, willing, and able to meet the needs of the individual and show how Thelema has transformed your life.
- Make sure that you do not allow the assumption that this process is the same as the Exercitia Spiritualia. Full disclosure as to the nature of the Meditations and the differences is important.
- The individual taking refuge in the Meditations agrees to work through the material supplied for 15 to 30 minutes each day. Unlike the Exercitia Spiritualia, we are looking for establishing the norms of good faith sharing between the individual and mentor or within a group setting. There is no requirement to share at all with the Meditations. The boundary of what is said in the room stays in the room is absolute.
- Meetings are held regularly throughout the time of the Meditations. The mentor will set the pace in consultation with the individual(s).
- The Meditations can be used sequentially or separately, depending on the individual and their needs, but it is always good to recommend that they are worked sequentially. Do not mislead an individual by not informing them of all the parts of the Meditations.
Your First Discussion
It is important to understand the Meditations are about setting up an individual for active prayer (or meditation, if you prefer) and spiritual conversation. Even some of the most accomplished magicians, occultists, and other spiritual practitioners have never done this level of spiritual work before. There is nothing like having to be vulnerable to another human being on a spiritual level and grasp the intricacies of speaking opening and honestly about their beliefs, their doubts, their confusions concerning the Law of Thelema. It is just assumed—wrongly, and through a terrible misreading—that each of us is supposed to hack our way through some kind of jungle. Thelema is not a jungle. It’s the Light and Hope of the World. You cannot hack and slash your way through that.
If you have a copy of the Mentor’s Notes for the Exercitia Spiritualia, you will want to review the topic sections on Why the Exercitia Spiritualia? and Precepts and Foundations. Keep in mind that experience calls to experience. You should be ready to share your own thoughts and experiences with others as they do with you. It is about living out the Law in everyday practice. Love is the law, love under will. There is so much more to Thelema than some sound bites and incense. Each of us has our difficulties and failures, successes and triumphs. Sharing together builds bonds of community, friendship, and solidarity.
The Meditations are about an inner experience that comes alive during the process. It is different for each individual. However, part of the richness of that renewal of life is the dynamic of knowledge and conversation that happens between the individual and mentor.